Sunday, January 29, 2012

That time of year

Most people, when confronted with blizzard-like conditions outside, think of going outside to ski or snowboard, or stay inside and cuddle up to their friendly fireplace.  I  am thinking about planting seeds.

Not outside of course, but in my little seed-starting area of the basement.  I have the hot mats, lights and seed starter ready to go.  All the old yogurt containers are ready to be washed, and this year I am bringing in snow to melt so that I won't kill my seedlings with the over-chlorinated Mason water as I have in the past.  It may be winter outside, but it is very close to spring in my basement.

For the past two years my peppers and tomatoes have been small when it comes time to transplant.  Compared to the stock found at local nurseries or the big box stores, mine seem to be about a month behind.  So this year I am moving up the start date on my indoor planting to February 1.  In the past the start date has always been March 1, which is around the start date called for on the seed packs.

Amish Paste tomatoes are great for
sauces.
This year I will be planting the usual Amish Paste, Beefsteak and heirloom Italian tomatoes; jalapeno, green, yellow, red, Thai, Nepalese and Hungarian peppers; cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme and sage and oregano to replace the plants that have gone out of control.  I will listen to additional requests, or if you have an heirloom plant you would like me to plant for you, let me know.

Around Mid-March it will be time to plant peas, lettuce and spinach outside, where I have a small hoop house planned.  By small, I mean making a hoop house out of one of out raised beds.  But large enough to start what we need to start.

Every year I look forward to planting time.  It means full-time bike season is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment