Sunday, March 4, 2012

Better late....

All warm and nestled in their beds.....

The garden planting did not start until today. My best intentions were to have it started two weeks ago, but life happens, and projects jump up. So today it was started. Basil, dill, cilantro, onions, peppers and tomatoes were all started and put on "the rack" in the basement with heating pads under their little feet and grow lights shining down upon them. And to the local enforcers, I AM PLANTING VEGETABLES!!!!!

"The Rack"

"The Rack" is my somewhat custom planting stand built with plant heating pads and two florescent light fixtures that I bought for about $5 each, on an "indoor greenhouse" that we picked up a couple of years ago at Family Farm and Home for under $30. Along with my homemade starter mix, peat moss, vermiculite and a little compost and a bucket of melted snow, we hope to get a good rate of sprouting. I used melted snow because the water here in Mason is very loaded with chlorine, and I think that may have been the reason nothing wanted to sprout last year.

In a week we should have a good indication on how this growing season is progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment